A BBC Study is suggesting that asthma suffers who use inhalers are creating a carbon footprint that is substantial – as big as eating meat. Asthma suffers who switch to another form of treatment would have the same impact as becoming vegetarian or recycling. This is because some inhalers release greenhouse gasses linked to global warming.
From a natural health perspective I have to ask “Have you ever considered the myriad of natural and alternative treatments for asthma?” What treatments?
- Chiropractic – The nerves in the thoracic spine or middle back control the lungs. If there is impingement of the nerves it may cause the lungs not to function as they should. Case studies have shown that chiropractic reduced, controlled and maintained asthma symptoms https://chiro.org/research/ABSTRACTS/Asthma.shtml
- Food Allergy Testing – This is a simple blood test. Oftentimes asthma suffers have allergies or allergy induced asthma but rarely are asthma patients tested for food allergies. This is not the arm prick test which is done for immediate (IgE) & most often environmental allergies. This is a blood test that checks for an immune response, sensitivity or delayed (IgG) food allergy. The most common foods that cause symptoms for asthma suffers are dairy, wheat, soy, egg and corn.
- Adrenal Testing – This is a 4 part saliva test. The adrenal glands produce stress & inflammation fighting hormones. When they don’t function properly, it has a significant impact on the immune system. If there is a respiratory allergy to dust, pollen, ragweed, pet dander or other environmental allergens—or if asthma recurs despite treatment; it may be due to an adrenal issue.
- Exercise – (Yes I said exercise) This is an age old remedy for asthma. If you have exercise induced asthma it is not recommended. Nor I am suggesting that you take up long distance running. However exercise helps increase the circulation and improves the lymphatic system which can help the lungs and body rid itself of toxins which can improve asthma symptoms. Please note that it is important to start slowly (1-5 minutes of exercise) when using exercise to improve asthma symptoms.
- Vitamin & Mineral Testing – There are nutrients essential for proper immune system and lung function. Studies show that 88% of people do not meet the fruit and vegetable intake recommendations. NIH studies have shown a link between nutrient deficiency and asthma. If you have asthma and are not eating 7-13 servings of fruits and vegetables per day, you may want to have your levels tested.
There are many other natural and alternative treatments for asthma such as acupuncture, yoga, biofeedback, breathing exercises, massage, relaxation techniques, homeopathy to name a few.